Wednesday 30 May 2018

broader contexualisation


I'm going to be comparing my project to other Neo-soul  artist  first album  such as Lauryn Hill. I'm going to break down and analyse the comparisons we both have and why this form of art is impactful to me and society


LAURYN HILL: MISEDUCATION OF LAURYN HILL

Explain what this album is about main details and what it achieved
In Lauryn hill words she explains that her first debut album (Miseducation of Lauryn hill ) was a deeper connection of understanding herself and her journey, and trying to understand her concept or even the worlds concept of being wise, and intelligent was not  wise at all. Through the development of this album or journey she found an understanding of, lessons in places she hadn't  expected them to be. Hence the reason of the album name was not only based on  the miseducation of her life but the miseducation of the world (system) we live in today. Prior to this album she had said to be impacted by a lot of emotional trauma through different directions,  that she hadn't realised that she was restricting her own development through being so intertwined with her emotions. And once she was able to pull herself out of the hard times she began to analyse what had happened and what she had done. Through that she learnt to match the puzzles of the hardship she had been through and learn a lesson from it.


What this means to me and how it has impacted me?
This albums had such an impact even on my day to day experiences. I used this album as way of excluding the reality of the world we live in today, and try to find my own meaning and identity. I had previously felt so lost in the world,  and I felt  if I try to be like everyone else  I would be welcomed  in this world. But through the process of listening to this album I learnt to love and embrace myself being and try and find my own identity.  For years I have always felt extremely different from everyone  especially when being discriminated upon because of my skin colour, features and many other aspects, I felt lost and confused because when I looked in the mirror I saw a beautiful black queen but the world didn't see that. Over time I began to believe in that lies because i felt that no one wanted me, I would hate to even look at my reflection in the mirror  I saw myself as a dissapointment. Even though some of the songs in the album i wasn't able to connect with based on the subjects, but I  tried to make an understanding of the songs in a way of  which it could uplift my spirit and help me understand my history, myself worth and why i'm living in a world in which despise people like me especially people who think outside the box. Songs such as Ex Factor, Doo Wop, Lost Ones and Everything  Is Everything Helped me through the process of me finding and loving me.  I felt the  the purpose of the album was for her  understand herself and to understand the world in her own eyes. I felt this album represented all the people who feel or have felt confused and lost in any situation that they are in, but mainly for black women who I have been outsiders of the world for a long time.


How did it make such an effect in society especially the black community as well as the music industry?
1.She broke barriers for black female artists

I believe she made a wrist of changing the whole perception of R&B and Hip-Hop black females Artist, I believe she changed and lifted up boundaries for females in the music industry.
Even though Hill wasn’t the first female artist to intertwine to completely different Genres together to make an amazing unique and unheard of technique, The reasoning of why she was completely different from everybody else was that she was able to connect with the masses.
this out we sold 420,000 copies in the first week and in total has sold more than 17 million copies worldwide.“What Lauryn is doing is opening doors for female artists who aren’t materialistic and flashing their titties,” Wu-Tang Clan’s RZA told MTV in 1998. “She represents a beauty and a wholesomeness that’s more down-to-earth. She makes music that people can relate to, which is why she’s done so well.”


.2. "Miseducation" was the first hip-hop album to win a Grammy for Album of the Year.
Lauryn also open the doors to the Hip Hop genre.
she was nominated for 10 Grammys and won 5 in 1999, which was record for any female artist at the time.  Her winning so many Grammys helped become more popular globally and a more appealing look for Hip Hop around the world


3. The album was subtle cry out of feminism

Hill broke barriers In the music industry while being pregnant at the same time. She didn’t follow society’s norms of choosing between a career or a family.
she proved everyone wrong and did both at the same time.

4. She helped pioneer conscious lyrics in hip-hop.
Hill was said to be woke before our modern artist such as Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West ( in his early career), Talib Kwele. She talked about have personal issues as well as social issues that we are facing even till this day . She helped to create a new direction Within the hip-hop genre people are personally honest and talk about social consciousness within the music.  From talking about sexual objectivity and gender barriers in Doo Wop, Relationship issues in EX factor and many other issues in which weren’t respected or a taboo in society at the time.
Even in 1999 she predicted that the music industry was going to have a major shift in the next few years later on in years he paved and created a place for many artist to today



5. Her sound transcends beyond hip-hop and R&B.  
The way she talks about real issues that normal people have to face on a daily basis in her album. The selfless and artistry of the album is so unique and was so unique at the time that even this year 2018 she earned a place in library of Congress. Lauren Hill is a Musical genius and has influenced many artists such as Beyoncé, Kanye West, Nas, John Legend and many more. Even John legend said to Rolling Stone, “She did it better than anybody still has done it. People are still trying to capture that moment.” And this year her music has been a great influence to artist such as Drake and A new upcoming rapper name Cardi B, Have sampled and used her songs as key to influence others.

How can I compare my music to this album and other music in the industry?
I Believe that my Ep and single talks similar factors but mainly about black women losing themselves in society, whilst also losing their identity, respect and culture. I wanted to include the same factors that she included in her music. I believe I have also used have had major influence from genres such R&B and Neo-Soul the same way she did. But i believe the differences between me and Hill is that most of my songs are both Lyrically and instrumentally mine as well as that I partly produced the majority of my songs. Even though my music is technically not on the same level as hers, i’m aiming to be just as influential as her and I hope that my music can do that. In my music I talk about about 3 elements to make a Nubian Queen
( the Nubian Queen symbolises every beautiful black women who has lived and who is alive today), which are Earth, Wind and Fire. Each of these elements symbolise a personality of different types of black women, and they each have a spiritual African tribal name that explains each of their powers. I chose 3 elements because 3 is a spiritual number for creativity and and knowing who you are.
The same with Lauryn Hill she put a lot of time and dedication in her album, and  I have also put a lot of thought and reasoning in mine. I don't expect it to be as successful as her album but what I hope is that their people in the world that can relate with my music and issues, and i believe it's good enough for the industry.



No comments:

Post a Comment