Friday 1 June 2018

Art work Research





Photos of my artwork
The process of my Art work
Reason why I chose to do art work was because I believed that if I had a form of imagery  it would help my audience understand the message I’m trying to get across.  In the beginning I wasn’t quite sure what I wanted from that at work, but through development I found out that art  is a powerful form creativity and symbolising certain messages.
What message was I trying to get across?
My whole project aim is to uplift and teach people to respect and understand black women and issues they face on a daily basis, because people do not understand. I have also experienced  and have seen the feeling of being lost and not knowing your identity. So in my art work I tried to symbolise that feeling with colour and non colour. I chose to do the female portraits in pencil and the background of the portrait in vibrant colours, using Pastel, Watercolour, normal paint and different materials that I could get my hands on. The reason why I chose to represent the black females in my portraits with  grey or with no colour, is to explain how excluded and lost they feel in today society. I wanted non Colour to symbolise the feeling of disappointment, confusion, regret, embarrassment, loss of identity, and a person who doesn’t know who they truly are.
The vibrant backgrounds is meant to symbolise the bright future, the ora their true identity and just the imagery of one day being able to find themselves and conquer the miseducation of the society they live in. This is the overall explanation of all of my artwork, But each artwork has a story to it. Also each of these portraits or paintings represent each of the elements I have chosen for my songs which are Earth, Wind and Fire.


1st portrait  The Girl With the Dreads (represents Wind)
This picture is about a girl that is nearly there of  finding her true identity. The reason why I gave her dreads, because In my culture dreadlocks symbolises strength, consciousness and understanding of oneself. So the woman in this picture has fully understood the true beauty inside, but it’s still insecure of who she truly is and what she is capable of achieving through her journey. In this picture I used different magazines to imitate the sunset, and the clouds at night. I also used the ripped magazines for her clothing. The reason why I chose red and green for her clothes, is to represent autumn because I believe that Autumn for me personally is the best time of the year in which I feel relaxed and at peace, and through the colours I try to symbolise that the Earth is extremely just like her inner soul. beautiful. The process of making this portrait didn’t take me that long but it was quite difficult. I wasn’t quite sure what the outcome would be but I knew I wanted to use different materials to symbolise different meanings instead of using pastel  and paint all the time.

Portrait 2 the girl with the leaf ( Earth Element)
The reason why this portrait is all grey including the leaf that the woman is hiding behind, it’s because this woman is hiding behind all the insecurities she is facing on a daily basis. She hides behind the leaves because she’s not confident of who she is and her identity in her culture, she is ashamed of her complexion she is in. She doesn’t want excepted who she truly is because she has a fear of change.
Process of creating this pencil drawing wasn’t too tricky because I didn’t need to include any bright vibrant colours, or any pastels I just had to draw with pencil.

The girl with the fire (Fire Element)
The girl with the fire symbolises the pain, anger, distress, and unhappiness in some black female in today society. I want to to represent that there are some Black females who have realise the truth and realise that their history and who they are. But They deny the fact that they use anger to solve the solutions of our issues in our community. BUt to also express and except that there’s other ways of conquering yourself. I have used red water colours to represent the pain and hurt she feels inside because of the reality she lives in. The process of this portrait wasn’t too hard because the watercolours are really easy to use. The pencil drawing wasn’t too hard either because it wasn’t much to draw.

The girl with the short Hair
EARTH Element
The girl with the short hair was meant to symbolise a woman that doesn’t want to follow the norms of reality. She is trying to connect more with nature and be at peace within herself. She is coming to the realisation that the world she lives in is extremely chaotic, so instead of changing the world she tries to change herself and through that she will be able to conquer the world in the correct way. The newspaper on her close symbolises the transition of her moving away from the fake and materialistic reality we live in today. Also in the black back background and the short hair also symbolises strength and confidence within a person and that’s the reason why I do you help with small hair. To represent nature I drew the background of bamboo trees, but behind the bamboo trees there is darkness because no one knows or she doesn't What the future will give it to her in this journey of her sacrificing herself. The process of this artwork was a bit tricky because I do struggle drawing bamboo trees and the black background I didn’t want it to consume the majority of the image. The easy part was doing her clothing, which just cut newspaper and glued it on.


The girl with the Afro All elements

The girl with the Afro represents all black women in today society. People have a fear when black women become confident of who they are realise the wrongdoings of the reality. I made the woman without any clothes because I wanted to also symbolise purity and insecurity and black women today. Just because we have a rough shells doesn’t mean that we are cold inside. The reason why I also gave this black woman in this portrait an Afro Is because, During the 60s and 70s Afros were meant to symbolise empowerment confidence and a threat to society. Growing out your natural prior to the Black Panther Movement was so out of the ordinary that, when this movement occurred it helped others be influenced being proud of who you, but others races saw it as a threat. The black panther movement was the movement during the 60s and 70s that were trying to make a change in the laws and regulations in America for people of colour. The media deemed them as a threat to society even though they were trying to make a change on laws that were on just. Now in present day the Afro is still deemed as a threat, and can also still affect you getting jobs being accepted in certain situations. But I wanted to symbolise that just because Black women natural state is an Afro doesn’t mean that they are a threat to society they are still delicate friendly and humane people inside. That is the reason why I included flowers as a background and use the colour yellow to symbolise hope, joy, and freedom. I also wanted to use this picture as the last picture for Nubian queen, that best describes all black women as a whole and what  we can be in the future.The process of this at work wasn’t too hard I did struggle a bit with the pastels but that is because I am still new to using pastels, other than that the process was fairly easy.

The girls with no eyes
All Elements
For this portrait I wanted to symbolise that your eyes are the key to your soul so don’t allow harsh reality change everything about you to the point where you don’t even know who you are. In this picture I want to tell a story about how a woman Is slowly losing her identity by wearing fake hair, getting plastic surgery Botox and other unnecessary things, to fit in in today’s society I wasn’t able to get the full message across because I didn’t have enough time as I love this last portrait to the last minute. This portrait was very simple other than I struggled with managing the pastels other than that the process was fine

Have many other portraits that wasn’t able to  complete but Instrument represents an element of Earth, wind and fire.
The overall process of creating these portraits and using pastels, materials, paints and watercolours was very tricky.  My aim was to complete all the portraits in law work during the first two weeks of the project, But I had many struggles during the process for example not having the right materials and paints to use and then not knowing which where the main portraits for my EP cover. Then I had stopped doing some of the artwork because I had a lot of work to do in studio producing my songs for the EP, and then I had an issue in the studio as I lost the majority of my work in the first two weeks so I had to redo them again. But at the end I was able to complete the main portraits even that wasn’t able to complete all of them. My aim for the next time I decide to be independent and use my own portraits I should learn to manage my time better and be a bit more organised in finding what materials I wanna use first instead of just going with the flow.What I’ve learnt from this is that I was capable of completing the majority of the work.







Artist That Inspired Me?

My research on art work
For my research I wanted to find artists that are empowered by the experiences and the cultures that surround them. I didn’t just research artist that only create painting or portraits, I also searched artist that use videography, photography, collaging and many other ways  of creating art that inspired me.
The first artist that I have chosen is

Lorna Simpson
This artist  combines collaging, photography, videography to explore the unique way to express herself. She is known for alerting issues within the black community through her art, as well as an artist she uses her work to express her experiences as a way to inspire other black women. She seemingly combines photography with words such as asking questions  that challenges narrow and conventional ideas of black women. She is known as a conceptual photographer because she uses imagery to express a deeper or metaphoric meaning behind her pictures.  Photography or imagery is normally is used through media to express many words, or to sell a certain fantasy or imagery to the audience and buyers. Concept and image are the main points within conceptual photography, the reason why is because the image provides an impactful expression for the words without saying anything. Simpson became popular in the 1980s because she would explore into social, political, as well as ethical issues that occurred previously and during the era. She would normally express issues about ethnicities and groups who have been marginalised in society such as people of colour, Woman and the LGBT community. In her early career she would take photos of her surroundings, but she believed that technique wasn’t able to express the certain messages she wanted. So she decided to create posed pictures in her studio and adding words alongside her work to express the true message and meaning behind the image.
I was extremely inspired by her technique and way of expressing certain social issues through art without words. I was definitely impacted with this technique, as I wanted to do something similar with my own artwork and through my music. My favourite art pieces from Simpson are the ones that are based on racial discrimination in the black community upon black women. Even though she used words to express an understanding of her images, a lot of the times her photos already express such a vivid impact just visually. I used these factors within my work to express depression with the darker colours, and vibrant colours for hope. I didn't  want to include words within my art pieces because I felt that if the imagery can't create such a vivid impact to my audience, then the art piece is not worthy enough to be used. Although I do want my work to be mysterious and also have various of meanings and storylines, I also want it to have a blunt messages, so people can understand what my overall message is. And that's why I used certain factors such as using similar colours and creating most of the features the same to make an understanding that we are all the same, but not at the same time. I wanted to say that we are all paradox within our own spirits.


Tamara Natalie Madden
Madden was born in St Andrew, Jamaica. During her childhood she was exposed to a lot of artistic influence. Once she moved to America she continued to pursue her dream of being an artist during her high school years, while studying literature, creative writing and photography. In 1997 she was diagnosed with a rare genetic kidney disease over the next few years her body deteriorated but she was able to get a kidney transplant in 2001. This was the same year same increased in popularity as her art work was included in many exhibitions. Her work has been featured in newspapers and magazines such as the New York Times International, the Jamaica Gleaner, Heart and soul magazine, upscale magazine, and much more.
I was really influenced by her unique technique of using vibrant colours to symbolise certain factors and messages. Full example she had said in interview that she uses gold to represent royalty, and black people being kings and queens. I also enjoy the way she represents the African and black culture overall in her artwork. I tried to learn from her art, by looking through her artwork and seeing certain features and factors she represents within it. The reason why I chose to research Madden is because I felt as if her artwork draws a lot of attention with by the way she uses eye catching vibrant colours to symbolise certain messages. I also included that within my own artwork such as representing vibrant colours as a message of hope and dark colours and the opposite. Even though my pictures were cartoon based mostly, I tried to include African features to represent African features as beautiful, and to broaden people's thoughts of the main standard of beauty. She represents the African culture a lot through her work which i was inspired to do but i wasn't able to add that within my work because of poor time management. But I also wanted to make my artwork to look modern to represent today's society. I didn't know how to intertwine both ancient African tribal clothes and accessories within my art pieces as well as making it modern at the same time.













No comments:

Post a Comment