Thursday 19 April 2018

Proposal


PROPOSAL
Introduction
My aim for this EXP is to create an EP and produce a portfolio of artwork, embracing and empowering black women in today society. Im planning to include 3-4 songs EP with about 3 interludes breaking it down into 3 sections. Each of my songs have deeper metaphoric meanings of the issues black women have to face on a daily basis.  I want to explain how  black women have to face physical, mental and emotional abuse by the media, government, academic system and even by our own race.

Context
The reason why I have chosen this subject is because:
1.I’m a black woman who has experienced a handful racial attacks.
2.I believe  Black woman dont get enough credit.
3.I’m also trying to enter the music industry so I want to have some research so I can be prepared.
4.I want to empower black women across the world.
5.there are not enough black female role models so I assume I should be a role model in my own way.
6. this is learning stage for me  I’m trying and learning to love myself day by day and realise my capabilities, while also trying to do the same for others with my music.
Last year my aim in the beginning was to create an Ep for my Final major project and perform it in a concert, But because of the amount of time management, confidence and skills, I wasn't able to complete the project the way I wanted. Hence the reason why I decided to do it for My Extended major project, because I have developed much more as a musician and a producer. I Want to use this year to show all the skills I have learnt throughout the past 2 years in this course, within this project to show my capabilities as a musician and being an independent artist in the music industry. This will help me in the future as it will show how capable I am, being a songwriter, performer, and a developing producer, within the industry. I have also included artwork to also show how I am able to broaden my capabilities within the creative industry, and how I don't need to only rely on music. One of the artist that I hope to research within this Project is Lauryn Hill, who is a legend within R&B, Neo-Soul and the female rap seen. I want to be as impactful as she is, not only through music but through business, charities academic and many other industries like what she has done.
I feel that there is not enough black female role models being promoted enough, or in the correct way within the academic system and the media. As a lot of people in previous generations as well as my own, are greatly impacted by music and the arts I would like to use this form of technique  to create something that can be such an impact within society and mainly within the black community. I want to create something that has a meaningful message to people, that feel isolated by barriers and different categories within society. I want to make people understand that it's ok to be different, and its ok to except as well as love what God has made you to be in your journey. And through my music I hope to breakdown this message in all my artwork and music. I want to achieve a project that's impactful through many issues and situations that black women have to face everyday. And also create something that can help me develop, musically, knowledgeably, and physically as a person.
My aim is to break down my artwork and music into 3 elements which are Earth, Wind and Fire.  The whole meaning behind this thought is that society doesn't really understand black women for who they are,  and because of that they try to justify their hate crime as form of improvement within the black community. making us believe that we will never be good  enough for the world. So I have these 3 elements as a form of a spiritual connection of oneself to understand their black beauty within.  3 carries a vibrational frequency for creativity, inspiration and expression of oneself, so I have used 3 elements to explain the ingredient to make a black queen (Nubian sisters). In each of these elements it expresses different emotions and personalities. They all have a pro and con to their personality but there is always a cure to the pain, the cure for each element is Love. For example

Earth :  Knowledgeable,  tranquil, neutering, kind, good hearted, fearless, powerful, innocent, pure and beautiful.  The Ma’at of the universe (Ma’at egyptian Goddess of balance and order of the universe) But if you break her heart she will never forgive you and bring karma upon you. Until she realizes that love is like a paradox that you have to experience. She needs to understand to find love you need to be hurt by it. When she finds love she transform into Earth.

Wind : Beautiful, dangerous, mysterious, free thinker, powerful. Floats around the world trying to find itself and understand herself. She has a split personality ( good hearted but can be evil) as she has been through so much trauma she no longer understands, who she is and what she can be. She wants to be free but superior to her competition. A women who denies her origins as she believes it's no suitable for the world she lives in. Love will help her understand that trying be someone your not, just to be accepted is a route to complete disaster. Her transformation after finding love she turns into the ice flower.

Fire: motivational revolutionist,  Ambitious, wise,  motivated, committed, short tempered, Angry, Serious and beautiful. She is extremely intelligent and knowledgeable to the point, if you ask her any question she will most likely no the answer to it. Everyone criticises her because of her unique personality, which makes her feel like an outsider in the world. She is short tempered because she doesn’t agree with Ignorance and stupidity,but  Through love  she finds the understanding that gathering too much hate will make you become what you despise the most.Transformation after finding love is a garden full of red lilies
These are the 3 elements to make a nubian queen.
I will only be creating 3 portraits of these 3 elements and then i will include other portraits that i have created also. In the art portfolio i will be also including poems from influential writers such as Maya Angelou, to give the respect to the black female and also bring hope.




Research
My research will be based on African American poets writers as well as musicians that have made a great influence to my EP and art work. Music artist such as Jill scott, Lauryn Hill and India arie are influential to the structure and characteristics of my music. For My artwork I want to try and include poems from Maya Angelou, Gwendolyn B.Bennett, Mari evans on each of piece of my artwork as a symbol of knowledge and mystery of my artwork. I will also be including interviews based on the struggles of a black woman in industries, as well as issues they have to face outside of work. I also hope to find different ways of creating primary research and gaining a lot of information to impact the creation of both my artwork and music. I'm not directly sure what i want to research on but I know throughout the process i will find research that can affect the developmental process as well as the end product.
Methodology
My aim to achieve this project is to start with finding enough knowledge to help me progress throughout the weeks, and try to gain enough influence through different pathways. In the first weeks i'll be creating the artwork and lyrics for my music, so i'll be trying to find influence and improvise from there. During the middle weeks i'll be officially producing the music for The for Ep and completing My artwork And Poems. The last weeks i'll be doing the evaluation of the whole process and what i experienced. The way I will be evaluating my work is through comparisons of other projects such as Jill Scott and Lauryn Hill first album, and from there i'll see how to break down my work and improve.

Timeline  
Week 1: Do research on the areas i'm interested, and find out I am doing for the rest of the weeks

Week 2: Begin creating the art work and continue doing research about artist and lyrical meanings and how to gain influence from it

Week 3: creating lyrics and start creating songs
Week 4: halfway through my artwork  and completed at least 1 one song

Week 5: nearly completed artwork  and have created at least 3 songs on logic

Week 6: Completed artwork. Created more than 6-7 songs I have to choose which songs are going to make the cut and what are not. Make a structure for the Ep and find out whether you should include them as interludes between the main songs.
Week 7:  have the concert and evaluate your experience.
Week 8: finish everything and evaluate your experience and your overall outcome.


I believe that if  I am organised with my time management then the process of making this project will run smoothly. If I am very disorganised I believe that I will not have enough to complete or add things that I want to include within the project. Because I feel I have included a lot of different factors and alot of written and practical work, I have to at least understand what my aim for this overall project by the end of the following weeks. If I don't this project will not come out the way I want it and I will fail.



No comments:

Post a Comment